Tuesday, 24 February 2009

Carpentry catch up

Saloon and galley projects
2006 to date


When we bought Wand'ring Bark we knew that the internal layout was far from perfect and changes were needed. The great thing about the boat (apart for the light airy nature and the price) was that the internal fit out was sound, just not very imaginative or creative. This was good news because I love my carpentry and this presents lots of opportunity to make "improvements", whilst at the same time maintaining a perfectly serviceable craft to play around on.

I therefore had a plan in mind form the outset and have gradually realised this vision over the last few years. It isn't finished yet but these photos give an idea of the progress made to date:





One of my first tasks was to create scope for two single bunks as an alternative to the crossways double. On the starboard side this was achieved by removing a tall and rather ugly cupboard and reducing it down to coffee table height, with a draw and a small cupboard underneath. To regain the storage space I created a triangular cupboard and attached a "flap" of worksurface to the front end, making this section either part of a bed, a coffee table or a food preparation area. I like the cupboard but not the table, which is made from offcuts of the old unit. You live and learn.



The crockery storage consisted of an open shelf and as a result everything got rather dusty. This was overcome with the installation of a pair of glass fronted doors with spring catches to keep them closed when we operate in ramming mode.


The cupboard under the sink suffered from terrible access, with a 12" lip over which everything had to be lifted. This was solved by enlarging the door hole and making a pair of raised panel doors which go to within 5cm of the floor. With raised panel router cutter sets costing over £100 you will see a distinct similarity in all my door manufacturing projects!


Storage in the front cabin was restricted to space under the bench seats accessed by removable panels under the cushions. This was inconvenient and remedied by the construction four very large drawers which slide on waxed wooden guide rails. So far we have never managed to fill these drawers to capacity.



On the port side the cross bed was lengthened to 6ft 6 inches by removing another large and boxy cupboard, again creating a coffee table cub bed extension with a large drawer under. In the reduced remaining space I created the entertainment zone, containing a stereo, 12 and 240 volt power supplies and a surface on which the laptop can be used to play DVD's (WB is a TV free zone) and charge phones / ipods etc. The cupboard is covered by another Ahab special door and there is another small draw underneath for the dustette.



It all looks quite neat when closed up and accompanied by a matching step / log box. I found that a certain "house style" emerged during construction and this was developed further as I moved into the rear cabin. More of that another time.

1 comment:

English Blogger said...

I do wish I was handy like you.