Thursday 20 March 2014

St Paul's Cathedral Mdina

St Paul's Cathedral, Mdina
March 2014

Following my last post on Malta's Mdina here are a selection of images taken inside St Paul's Cathedral.




There has been a church on this site for centuries, and its location is believed to be the place where Paul met Plebius after his shipwreck en route to Rome. The present building was built in 1702 following an earthquake and contains some breathtaking murals on the walls and ceilings.





The image which drew me in was the one where Mary was visited by the angel - possibly the single most challenging element of the creed to my mind. But the encounter is haunting and held me fixated for 10 mins or more:



3 comments:

Halfie said...

For a male angel Gabriel seems to have a very feminine face.

Andy Tidy said...

Good point Halfie - but I cant think what else it represents.

Jacquie said...

Stunning colours of St Paul's Cathedral ceiling's. Just beautiful.