Friday 27 February 2015

Birmingham Cathedral

Birmingham Cathedral
February 2015

With a good weather forecast and a Friday to ourselves we decided to pay Birmingham a visit. Of course, I work in Birmingham most days but I rarely have the time to stop and look at the cityscape which surrounds me. 

Birmingham Cathedral


This dawdle through my adopted city included a look at St Philip's, the city cathedral. I could say that I visit this building regularly in so far as I attend a business carol service each year, an event which marks the start of Christmas. But for the rest of the year I pass it by as I walk across the city centre.


Main alter window - Birmingham Cathedral

 Windows to the left and right at Birmingham Cathedral


As a cathedral it is understated to say the least. It was originally built as a parish church and consecrated in 1715. When the Diocese of Birmingham was formed in 1905 it was decided that rather than spend money on a flash new building, the cash would be used supporting the local poor. As a result the Parish Church off New Street would be upgraded to cathedral status, even if the structure remained unaltered.

Western window - Birmingham Cathedral

So what you get is a baroque church which is smaller than many village churches. That said ,it has four magnificent stained glass windows and a outlook which continues to worry more about the local people than an impressive pile of masonry.


I think the founder would approve....

No comments: