Tuesday 16 February 2010

Working Pair on Grand Union Canal, 1969

Unidentified working boats from 1969
February 2009

My brother has managed to convert all our old boating transparencies into digital format, which has given me access to a large selection of photos going back to 1968.

I have already used a number of these images in my accounts of our voyages in 1968 and 1969, giving a glimpse at pleasure boating from forty years ago. Strangely, although Blogger will allow me to backdate posts to 1968, if I do they won't appear in the date sidebar before 1971. Odd. Ever the pragmatist I have / will use 1971 at the year of publication for the reciods of our first  four trips.

Working narrowboats on the Grand Union 1969

Whilst commercial trade was rare, it still existed and some coal was being transported along the Grand Union. The above photo is of an unknown a working pair running empty on a short rope. These are no carefully restored hobby boats but the real thing, bashed and scarred with a "full" waterline clearly visible on the hull (thats something you rarely see today). Judging by the way thay are coming past they took no prisoners, and expected pleasure boats to "get out of the road".

Well secured mooring pins were the order of the day, as I recall.

Can anyone put a name to the motor boat? The colours on the bows are distinctive.

2 comments:

Halfie said...

No, no idea. But I'll tell you what: if you come across any photos showing Chertsey in action you'd make a certain Sarah very happy!

Andy Tidy said...

I have a small handful of old photo's, but none of Chertsey I fear.