Wednesday 3 July 2013

Last remnant of the Churchbridge Flight

Last fragment of the Chruchbridge Flight
Hatherton Canal
June 2013

I have been told that a single fragment of the old Churchbridge Locks exists in the shape of an ornamental pond which was one of the upper lock pounds.





I have always been a little sceptical about this as the only water features I could see from Google Earth was a large lake and a very rectangular cooling pond, neither of which were very likely prospects.




With a few minutes to spare I took a walk up the hill behind Sainsburys which sits on top of the lock flight and after skirting the big lake I came across a reedy stretch which was aligned perfectly with the old canal course.

Could this be the last surviving remnant of the steep flight of locks on the Hatherton Canal to Rumour Hill Junction?

No comments: