Thursday 5 February 2009

Lichfield and Hatherton Restoration Trust

15 minutes of fame

I get plenty of public exposure within my day job, but not so much in respect on my rather nerdy interest (obsession?) in canals. Belle would undoubtedly say that that is a good thing, and she is probably right!

I was amused to receive the winter edition of Cut Both Ways, the Lichfield and Hatherton Canals Restoration Trust's newsletter. I perused the contents and there in the centrefold was a picture of your truly being formally welcomed in as the 2,000th member by Brian Kingshott, the Chairman.

I suspect that this is the first and last time I will be a centrefold, and I didn't even have to take my clothes off...... I am such a classy act you see.


Having overcome my surprise it was slightly saddening to read how the current economic troubles are impacting charities such as LHCRT, causing them to tighten their belts, reduce their short term ambitions, waiting for the return of more prosperous times. LHCRT has been operational for 20 years now and whilst much progress has been made, the "to do" list is as daunting as ever. Restoring rural canals is a long term activity and the primary qualifications for committee membership has to be patience and dogged perseverance.

The most salutary section of the magazine was the fact that of the ten who formed the original committee in 1988, five are no longer with us, three have moved on to other things and two stalwarts remain. Well done Brian and Eric - you deserve a medal apiece.

No comments: